Enable blank password on Windows Remote Desktop Connection is possible to do. Have you ever facing a problem remote desktop can’t connect because of credentials? Your Windows computer has no password, but Remote Desktop force you to type a password. There are some error will appear when the blank password setting is disabled. You will get a message “Your credentials did not work”. The other message is “Unable to log you on because of an account restriction”. Or maybe “An authentication error has occurred. The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted Remote Computer: xxxxx”. This problem is very annoying when you want to remote in a hurry.
Blank Password is Disable by Default
Windows computers are disabling blank password for remote desktop by default. The reason is for security. If you use a blank password on your remote desktop connection is like you are leaving your house with a fully open door. Anybody can enter your house easily. So if you use a blank password on a remote desktop connection and your computers are public computers, people can easily access your remote desktop connection. If you know the risk, but still want to enable blank password in a remote desktop connection you can read this article.
How to Enable Blank Password on Windows Remote Desktop Connection
There are two methods to enable blank password on windows remote desktop connections. The first method is to change the group policy settings. Below is the step by step guide on how to enable a blank password.
- Click Start, point to Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK to start the Group Policy Editor.
- Open Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
- Double-click Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
- Click Disabled, and then click OK.
- Quit Group Policy Editor.
Change Registry Value Method
The second method is changing the registry value. This method is an undercover method, you must understand the risk of changing a registry value.
- Click Start, point to Run, type regedit.msc, and then click OK to start the Registry Editor.
- On the left side, there is a tree list.
- Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Then Expand the SYSTEM.
- Expand CurrentControlSet.
- Search for Control and expand it.
- Find Lsa and click on it.
- On the right menu, there is some registry value.
- Right Click on “LimiitBlankPassword” value and then edit the value.
Enable blank password in remote desktop connection is possible, but it is dangerous action. Use this setting only if your computers is a private computer and nobody can access it. Read on how to use remote desktop to connect to a windows 10 pc.